Sustainability within our fabric manufacturer
We're committed to only partnering with fabric manufacturers that focus on sustainability as part of their manufacturing process. Here are some ways they are reducing energy, harmful emissions, waste, and water consumption:
In our production we only use electricity deriving from renewable sources. Furthermore, by replacing all mercury bulbs with last generation lamps, introducing new inverters, led lamps, high efficiency engines and upgrading all the knitting equipment and machinery, we have further decreased our energy consumption.
– over 900.000 kwh saved in 2018, which are equal to the annual energy consumption per capita of over 1200 people
– from 2012 reduction by 11,79% in the energy consumption per each ton of finished product manufactured
In 2013, thanks to the installation of a high-tech co-generation plant and the use of methane gas, currently the “greenest” fossil fuel, Carvico and Jersey Lomellina won the challenge of independently producing electricity, thus cutting down on energy consumption.
– over 10.590.000 kwh of electricity produced internally in a year, which are equal to the energy used to light up 15 Eiffel towers for a year.
In compliance with the most recent European standards and with National and regional laws and regulations, we have adopted a high tech, waste water homogenization aimed at reducing the amount of polluting agents before it is sent to the municipal water treatment plant.
Moreover, a sophisticated system to sort rainwater from civil and industrial waters has also been implemented so as to harvest and re-use rainwater in the production process.
– 448.953 m3 of water recovered and re-used in a year, which are equal to the annual consumption of about 7.000 people
Our water circle
Water to be used in our company is extracted from our own boreholes and is first used to cool down the knitting machines oil. Then it is treated and used for cooling down the dyeing machinery. After that, it is collected and re-used for rinsing fabrics after they are dyed and if finally sent to the homogenization plant. After an efficient equalization process it is sent to the municipal waste water treatment plant which, through a chemical-physical biological process, purifies it and discharges it inside the river Brembo.
Water discharged by Carvico and Jersey Lomellina is clean.
– 48,3% of the water used in our production process in 2018 was actually recycled.
Our innovative heat recovery system, is aimed at exploiting the thermal power produced during our fabrics production cycle to heat part of our premises: our offices, dressing rooms, the dyeing and knitting departments, the color kitchen and the maintenance department.
– in 2018 we prevented 2.265.000 kg di CO2 from being released into the atmosphere; we are talking about the same amount of emissions produced by our company cars if they were to go round the world 495 times!
– -25.9% of CO2 released in the atmosphere per each kg of fabric produced in comparison with the early years of the millennium (ETS Kyoto)
– 1.148.735 Sm3 of methane gas were saved in 2018 thanks to the use of the heat recovered from the fumes produced by the finishing and dyeing processes
– 942 TEP/year (ton of oil equivalent) in one year
– from 2002 to 2016 reduction by 60,44% in the thermal consumption per ton of finished products.
Carvico enforces an efficient program for the reduction of emissions. Thanks to the use of last generation plants (BAT, best available technology), we can ensure our emissions temperatures and values are far below the limits set by the law
– Our emissions are 10 times lower than the limits set by the law.
The use of recycled raw materials, the reduction of packaging materials and the recovery of non hazardous waste have allowed us to cut down on waste.
– 99% of our wastes are recycled and re-used, so the equivalent of the content of 160 garbage trucks avoids ending up in the landfill
A green belt
Since our early days, we have always paid a lot of attention to the maintenance of the green belt surrounding our premises and we have also planted a relevant quantity of new trees. In addition to enhancing the appearance of our premises, the presence of such green belt, contributes to the absorption of the CO2 released into the atmosphere, improving our environmental balance.